company logo

Find a Teacher

Find Students

Help

About Us
LearningMusician Chat >> Feature Article Chat >> The Highs and Lows of Harpsichord Building: A Talk with Jack Peters      

Viewing 1-3 of 3 total messages      

Michael Connolly

Offering fiddle lessons, mandolin lessons, and guitar lessons in Seattle, Washington

November 28, 2006 - 10:31 PMReply to this message
Now that you've read our interview with Jack Peters, we'd love to hear what you think! A few questions to get you started:

Was the article interesting to you? Did anything you read about Jack surprise you?
Would you be interested in reading interviews with other instrument makers?
What other comments do you have about Jack, his instruments, or the article?

Your opinions are welcome!

Michael

Laura Childress

Offering piano lessons, music theory lessons, and ear training lessons in Wayne, Pennsylvania

November 29, 2006 - 8:40 AMReply to this message
What an informative and well-written article. I would share it with students and parents and colleagues alike. It shares quite a bit of information that was new to me even after taking a semester of performance practice on the harpsichord. This article should be in Clavier Magazine or some other music journal. I am glad I took the time to read it.

Sally Soest

December 1, 2006 - 12:19 AMReply to this message
Thank you for the excellent feature story about Jack Peters, the harpsichord builder! This man is a prodigious genius. About 10 years ago I was looking for a harpsichord and stumbled across Jack. We talked back and forth for several years about what sort of instrument I would like. (I'm not a good musician, I simply love to play, after a fashion, and love the sound of a harpsichord and its music.)

I would drop in at his workshop off and on, and each time there would be a new assortment of a dozen or so instruments sitting around in every imaginable state of construction. He has tireless energy and inventiveness and accomplishes more in 24 hours than seems humanly possible.

Ultimately we decided I wanted an instrument that opened toward me, but not a virginal, with enough octaves to play Couperin, but small enough to fit into my little condo. Jack built me a little French bentside spinet whose design he took primarily from a photo of an instrument in a museum in France. It's very sweet and a perfect size: I can carry it by myself and even load it into my station wagon. Everyone should have one!

LearningMusician Chat >> Feature Article Chat >> The Highs and Lows of Harpsichord Building: A Talk with Jack Peters      
Viewing 1-3 of 3 total messages