Find a Teacher

Find Students

Help

About Us
LearningMusician Chat >> General Site Chat >> Attitude and the teen      

Viewing 1-3 of 3 total messages      

Suzanne Alexander

August 28, 2008 - 2:00 PMReply to this message
I have a 15 year old who has been done both piano and cello, however, we have hit a bump in the road. She takes a great deal for granted and it showed this summer at music camp when the fingerboard on her cello broke. Lots of phone call and information, bottom line, she was only putting in minimal effort on practice, solo etc. She has turned into a social butterfly. My gut instinct tells me she is not interested right now, but still loves the music, but is not willing to make the commitment.

What would your advice be in handling such a situation. I realize that there are times, they need to walk away before they have the passion and realize that it what they want.

Jim Lassiter

September 9, 2008 - 4:24 PMReply to this message
There are many things that will draw a child away from playing music. 'Having' to play is one. Becoming bored with either the instrument or the type of music being played. My own son (now 17) wanted to learn to play the guitar a few years ago so i bought him an electric guitar with a small practice amp. I tried showing him some basic chords (I've been playing guitar, bass & drums a long time) but he quickly lost interest. Tonight he dragged my synth into his room and is teaching himself how to play a song using a YouTube video. I'm quite surprised and pleased.

Maybe your daughter should get together with a few friends in a basic 'band' way (you mentioned she plays piano?). Does she know a bassist and drummer? Have them just do some jamming on a song they all like. Maybe it'll spark some interest along different musical lines/interests...? maybe getting the 'spotlight' more upon her as a 'single' musician as opposed to being just a 'number' in an orchestra may help (i'm going out on a limb here assuming she's involved in an orchestral situation because you mentioned band camp).

What was the initial reason her taking up piano and cello? Both are very fine instruments and can be utilized in almost any style of music - take the heavy metal band called Apocolyptica - just a drummer and 4 cellists. Think Mozart but really heavy and quite melodic.
Talk with her and find out what she wants and where she thinks she might like to go with playing. What styles, where she sees herself in a band or orchestral situation. Whatever training she's had will only benefit her with any other instrument she may play.

I hope that helped.
-Jim

------------------
On August 28, 2008 - 2:00 PM, Suzanne Alexander wrote :
> I have a 15 year old who has been done both piano and cello, however, we have hit a bump in the road. She takes a great deal for granted and it showed this summer at music camp when the fingerboard on her cello broke. Lots of phone call and information, bottom line, she was only putting in minimal effort on practice, solo etc. She has turned into a social butterfly. My gut instinct tells me she is not interested right now, but still loves the music, but is not willing to make the commitment.
>
> What would your advice be in handling such a situation. I realize that there are times, they need to walk away before they have the passion and realize that it what they want.

Unknown User

December 20, 2008 - 8:43 PMReply to this message

Try other pieces
------------------
On August 28, 2008 - 2:00 PM, Suzanne Alexander wrote :
> I have a 15 year old who has been done both piano and cello, however, we have hit a bump in the road. She takes a great deal for granted and it showed this summer at music camp when the fingerboard on her cello broke. Lots of phone call and information, bottom line, she was only putting in minimal effort on practice, solo etc. She has turned into a social butterfly. My gut instinct tells me she is not interested right now, but still loves the music, but is not willing to make the commitment.
>
> What would your advice be in handling such a situation. I realize that there are times, they need to walk away before they have the passion and realize that it what they want.

LearningMusician Chat >> General Site Chat >> Attitude and the teen      
Viewing 1-3 of 3 total messages