company logo

Find a Teacher

Find Students

Help

About Us
LearningMusician Chat >> Feature Article Chat >> Holiday Horror Stories: Our Members' Worst Gigs      

Viewing 1-1 of 1 total messages      

Michael Connolly

Offering fiddle lessons, mandolin lessons, and guitar lessons in Seattle, Washington

December 22, 2007 - 3:55 PMReply to this message
This article turned out to be quite popular - we received more articles than we had room to print! Feel free to share your own gig horror stories in this forum thread.

I'll start with a story of my own:

Back in high school, I played saxophone in the school's jazz band in my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee. In my senior year, our band director booked our group for a Christmas gig at a beautiful marble-floored Union Planters bank. We didn't know too much about the gig, but I assumed it was a Christmas party for the bank employees, and as such I was expecting a pretty sedate affair.

It turns out that I couldn't have been more wrong: it wasn't a Christmas party for bankers, it was a Christmas party for a secret society! Their connection with the bank wasn't entirely clear to us, but the unifying theme amongst the party-goers were elaborate costumes and heavy drinking. As the night progressed, drunken revelers muscled aside our band director, grabbing his baton and "conducting" us. The trombonist's plunger was stolen and put to mischievous use. Things became more and more chaotic as we repeated the 10 songs we knew over and over, hoping the sweet strains of "Satin Doll" would calm the increasingly frenzied party-goers.

At the strike of midnight, a side door opened. Into the bank's lobby strode a masked figure wearing a cape made from gold lamé. "I AM RA, THE SUN GOD!" he shouted. My memory past this point is rather unclear.

True story! :)

Michael Connolly

LearningMusician Chat >> Feature Article Chat >> Holiday Horror Stories: Our Members' Worst Gigs      
Viewing 1-1 of 1 total messages