company logo

Find a Teacher

Find Students

Help

About Us
Marketplace >> Audio / Video Gear For Sale >> Websites for Piano Teachers      
 
Viewing 1-10 of 13 total messages       View Newer Messages

Unknown User

October 1, 2007 - 11:43 AMReply to this message
I studied graphic and web design in addition to piano pedagogy, so if you're looking for a website for your piano studio, I'm your guy.

Take a look at my studio's site -- http://www.ArvadaPiano.com -- and see if it looks like something you'd like to have representing your studio as well.

Building you a site similar to mine would run in the $750-850 range. Having a quality website is key when recruiting from online sources like Craigslist, so if you're ready to take this step, drop me a line. I can also handle all the extra details for you -- domain name regisration, website hosting, and so on.

Drop me a line at lessons@arvadapiano.com or call me at 303-242-5483.

Rob
 

Unknown User

October 3, 2007 - 8:41 PMReply to this message

Here's another option if you're looking for something more affordable:

I could take the same website that I built for myself, use it as a template, and change the information to reflect your music studio. The look and feel would be the same as my site, but the info/photos/rates etc. would all be yours.

Obviously I can't offer this to anyone located in Denver (I don't want another local teacher with an identical site to mine) but if you are outside of Colorado, I would be glad to build this for you. Making all the changes and publishing it for you would run $299. This is a great solution for teachers on a tight budget.

If interested, please drop me a line at lessons@arvadapiano.com or call me at 303-242-5483.

Rob
 

Unknown User

October 20, 2007 - 7:31 AMReply to this message
I'm kind of surprised that I didn't hear from anyone. Are these boards just not very active? Or does everyone already have a website? I don't know how anyone could manage to keep a viable studio these days without a website...
 

Esther Sanborn

Offering piano lessons, music appreciation lessons, and music theory lessons in Irvine, California

October 26, 2007 - 7:15 PMReply to this message


------------------
On October 20, 2007 - 7:31 AM, Rob Sanchez wrote :
> I'm kind of surprised that I didn't hear from anyone. Are these boards just not very active? Or does everyone already have a website? I don't know how anyone could manage to keep a viable studio these days without a website...

Hey Rob,

Super site...really super...wow...and, I liked mine...yours is professional, clean, straight to the point...excellent...

Here's mine...Heritage Web Solutions....heavy duty Tech support, template, highly experienced Designer..under two hundred...hosting is high, 24 dollars/month..

www.pianoandbeyond.com

I'd love your feedback..I'm not moving to the area for a few weeks and there is time to change things..I don't think major things..but, details...

Regards,
Esther
 

Unknown User

October 28, 2007 - 7:56 AMReply to this message
Esther,

Your site looks great! The only thing I try to watch out for sometimes is the use of text overlaid on a photo as it can be hard to read for some people. I can read it just fine, but when I did that on one of my sites before, I used to hear every so often, "Wow, it's hard to read the words on your page." I think it may have to do with the difference in monitors, or maybe just people's eyesight.

But the site looks clean and is very easy to navigate. I read through your content and really liked that as well, especially the part about children and adults with special needs. I smileed when you said that they're often the most gifted ones -- that is so true! I currently have one child with special needs in my student roster and she is by far the most adept of any of my students.

Warm regards,
Rob
 

Michael Connolly

Offering fiddle lessons, mandolin lessons, and guitar lessons in Seattle, Washington

October 28, 2007 - 12:27 PMReply to this message
Esther,

You can probably spend signifcantly less than $24.00 a month on hosting for your website...hosting is a very competitive market, and unless this is a service being resold through your web designer and was part of the price he offered you, you should not have to pay so much.

Go Daddy is a hosting company used by many folks and has plans starting at $3.99 a month that would probably suit you just fine! Ask your web designer for more details - unless he's charging you directly for the hosting and has a vested financial interest, he should be willing to help you make the switchover.

Best,

Michael
 

Esther Sanborn

Offering piano lessons, music appreciation lessons, and music theory lessons in Irvine, California

October 28, 2007 - 2:02 PMReply to this message


------------------
On October 28, 2007 - 7:56 AM, Rob Sanchez wrote :
> Esther,
>
> Your site looks great! The only thing I try to watch out for sometimes is the use of text overlaid on a photo as it can be hard to read for some people. I can read it just fine, but when I did that on one of my sites before, I used to hear every so often, "Wow, it's hard to read the words on your page." I think it may have to do with the difference in monitors, or maybe just people's eyesight.
>
> But the site looks clean and is very easy to navigate. I read through your content and really liked that as well, especially the part about children and adults with special needs. I smileed when you said that they're often the most gifted ones -- that is so true! I currently have one child with special needs in my student roster and she is by far the most adept of any of my students.
>
> Warm regards,
> Rob
>
Thanks so much for the feedback, Rob...The photo is a shot of Newport Bay, California...where I'm heading...and was taken by my son, a Professional Photographer in the area..I am happy you were able to read it...thanks so much...Again, yours is a Beaut!! Yet, I just thought of something...mine may be a tad feminine...yours has colors more masculine...that just hit me..if I didn't know you were male, I may have guessed it by the colorations...you have experience in this..does that follow?
 

Esther Sanborn

Offering piano lessons, music appreciation lessons, and music theory lessons in Irvine, California

October 28, 2007 - 2:08 PMReply to this message


------------------
On October 28, 2007 - 12:27 PM, Michael Connolly wrote :
> Esther,
>
> You can probably spend signifcantly less than $24.00 a month on hosting for your website...hosting is a very competitive market, and unless this is a service being resold through your web designer and was part of the price he offered you, you should not have to pay so much.
>
> Go Daddy is a hosting company used by many folks and has plans starting at $3.99 a month that would probably suit you just fine! Ask your web designer for more details - unless he's charging you directly for the hosting and has a vested financial interest, he should be willing to help you make the switchover.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael
Michael,
Thanks for that...yes, I am aware of the very high hosting and I am, I think, locked in a year contract...however, the up-side is that they will completely re-do the Design, everything for absolutely nothing...I can change virtually everything, beginning to end in the Site...and, the Techs and Designers will change...no cost to me...plus all the Tech Support needed 5 days a week, with WebMail, auto responders, the works. I am only going to hang on to it for a year until I become established..then, my contract ends and I will look to GoDaddy, etc..for other options should I decide to stay 'live'....For me, it is a sweet deal for I'm new to Computers and it just works for now...but, in a year...who knows...

Thanks for your feedback and assistance...I appreciate it very much..Esther.
 

Unknown User

October 29, 2007 - 8:08 AMReply to this message


------------------
On October 28, 2007 - 2:02 PM, Esther Sanborn wrote :

> Yet, I just thought of something...mine may be a tad feminine...
> yours has colors more masculine...that just hit me..if I didn't
> know you were male, I may have guessed it by the
> colorations...you have experience in this..does that follow?


Esther, that's a very good observation. In this particular instance, I think it's okay to have a site with a slightly more feminine feel for a female teacher, and more masculine for a male teacher.

I do think there's more to it than just strictly feminine or masculine, though. The design you choose probably also reflects your personality and your teaching style, and that's good.

In web design, we always say that the look and feel of the site should reflect the product or service itself. With music lessons, the product you're selling is yourself. That's why I think it's good for your site to reflect you personally. The photos of you with the student, the beautiful sunset photo taken by your son, and the peaceful color scheme communicate what parents can expect from you as a teacher, even if they only realize it subconsciously.

If I were just guessing, based on the look of your site, my first impression would be that you are a teacher who places heavy emphasis on the artistry and beauty of music, with a gentle, patient, and encouraging personality. Would that guess be at least semi-accurate?
 

Esther Sanborn

Offering piano lessons, music appreciation lessons, and music theory lessons in Irvine, California

October 29, 2007 - 8:42 AMReply to this message


------------------
On October 29, 2007 - 8:08 AM, Rob Sanchez wrote :
>
>
> ------------------
> On October 28, 2007 - 2:02 PM, Esther Sanborn wrote :
>
> > Yet, I just thought of something...mine may be a tad feminine...
> > yours has colors more masculine...that just hit me..if I didn't
> > know you were male, I may have guessed it by the
> > colorations...you have experience in this..does that follow?
>
>
> Esther, that's a very good observation. In this particular instance, I think it's okay to have a site with a slightly more feminine feel for a female teacher, and more masculine for a male teacher.
>
> I do think there's more to it than just strictly feminine or masculine, though. The design you choose probably also reflects your personality and your teaching style, and that's good.
>
> In web design, we always say that the look and feel of the site should reflect the product or service itself. With music lessons, the product you're selling is yourself. That's why I think it's good for your site to reflect you personally. The photos of you with the student, the beautiful sunset photo taken by your son, and the peaceful color scheme communicate what parents can expect from you as a teacher, even if they only realize it subconsciously.
>
> If I were just guessing, based on the look of your site, my first impression would be that you are a teacher who places heavy emphasis on the artistry and beauty of music, with a gentle, patient, and encouraging personality. Would that guess be at least semi-accurate?

Dear Rob,

That is a direct hit. I am very gentle both with Adults and Children, extremely patient and encourage everyone to strive toward their own talents and abilities, not as an extension of my ego. Having studied with Prima Donna Teachers, I work hard to avoid that in lessons and place the student first, above all, in front of myself, aside from myself, and make them shine. It is all about having them experience Music as positive and enhancing for their self-esteem..and, I will go to extremes to have that occur..bending over backwards for that. The Student comes first...not me...

I've placed much thinking about this and the Teacher, as an Archetype, holds a position of great power, while the Student comes to the bench completely open, completely vulnerable, and completely humble. A Teacher, perhaps unknowingly, can twist that, and damage that for their own egoistical purposes, and if that Teacher isn't aware that the Student is being hurt on any level...that is life-long damage...I know, I've been through it with Prima Donna Teachers, shoving me off the bench so they can play, saying things so cruel that I'll take to my death...Oftimes, Teachers push Students hard so that just by way of the Student performing well at any cost, it validates the Teacher and there is that ego again, right in front...It is not about the Student, it is all about the Teacher. That's backwards.

No, Rob, in fact, I feel so strongly about this that I think all Teachers should take the equivilent of "The Hippocratic Oath" as all Physicians must do:

DO NO HARM.....or, quite simply, don't teach...

Entering the teaching environment is entering upon Holy Ground...it is Sacred Space...
Honor the Student.

It is their time for them and not the Teachers. Priorities, simple as that.
Thanks,
Esther.
 
Marketplace >> Audio / Video Gear For Sale >> Websites for Piano Teachers      
Viewing 1-10 of 13 total messages       View Newer Messages